With more employers now attempting to develop workplace drug and alcohol policies, a greater number of organisations have stepped up to offer assistance. We urge employers to take advantage of the assistance as much as possible. Developing and implementing workplace policies for drug and alcohol misuse is not a simple task that can be accomplished in a few hours. It requires research, discussion, planning, adjusting, and more.

At the bottom of this document, we have provided the names and contact information of various organisations offering assistance. However, before you begin looking at that information, it is helpful to understand what kinds of resources are available to you. They can be broken down into several different categories:

  • Literature – Workplace literature is available to educate employees about drug and alcohol misuse. Literature is also available for companies attempting to develop and implement their own policies. Almost all of this literature is available free of charge from charities, trade unions, government agencies, etc.
  • Legal Advice – Employers need legal advice when developing their drug and alcohol policies. This is primarily due to a requirement to craft policies in a way that protects the legal rights of workers. Policies should never be implemented without first being reviewed by experts.
  • Practical Advice – The practical aspects of developing and implementing drug and alcohol policies differ depending on the workplace in question. It is helpful to seek practical advice if management is unable to come up with effective ways to implement established policy.
  • Testing/Screening – Most workplace drug and alcohol policies will make some sort of provision for testing/screening procedures. There are plenty of companies providing such services to UK employers. Larger companies with their own medical staff may just need assistance setting up a testing or screening programme.
  • Support – Employers may call on various support groups to provide services to their workers in need. Support groups play a vital role in helping individuals overcome a drug and alcohol problems.
  • Treatments – As with support groups, treatment providers may be called on by employers to provide services to workers. Employers may even partner with certain treatment organisations in some cases. Partnering enables treatment providers to help a company’s workers while also enabling the company to financially support the treatment provider.

As an employer, you may not know where to start in what seems to be a highly complex area of workplace administration. That is understandable. Consider contacting one of the organisations we have listed below for guidance. The sooner you get started, the sooner your company or organisation will be moving in the direction of protecting the workplace and helping your employees.

Naturally, Addiciton Helper is here to help where you think yourself or an employee needs clinical treatment. Call us for advice on:

Freephone: 0800 44 88 688

Local Number: 0203 151 1488

Other Organisations – Contact Information

The following organisations are available to assist you in the development and implementation of workplace drug and alcohol policies:

Advisory Conciliation and Arbitration Service
Brandon House
180 Borough High Street, London SE1 1LW
Phone: 0845 7474747
Web: www.acas.org.uk

Confederation of British Industry
Centre Point
103 New Oxford Street, London WC1A 1DU
Phone: 020 73797400
Web: www.cbi.org.uk

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE)
Phone: 0845 3450055
Fax: 0845 4089566

Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
The Grange
Highfield Drive, Wigston, Leicester LE18 1NN
Phone: 01162 573100
Web: www.iosh.co.uk

Trade Union Congress
Congress House
23-28 Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3LS
Phone: 02076 364030
Web: www.tuc.org.uk

Alcohol Concern
64 Leman Street, London E1 8EU
Phone: 02072 640510
Web: www.alcoholconcern.org.uk

Institute of Alcohol Studies
Alliance House
12 Caxton Street, London SW1H 0QS
Phone: 02072 224001
Web: www.ias.org.uk

Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents
Edgbaston Park
353 Bristol Road, Birmingham B5 7ST
Phone: 01212 482000
Website: www.rospa.co.uk

Health Promotion Agency for Northern Ireland
18 Ormeau Avenue, Belfast BT2 8HS
Phone: 02890 311611
Web: www.healthpromotionagency.org.uk

Shepherds Way Complex
Dungiven Road, Derry
Phone:02871 313232
Web: www.northlands.org.uk

Health Education Board for Scotland
Woodburn House
Canaan Lane, Edinburgh EH10 4SG
Phone: 01315 365500
Web: www.healthscotland.com

Alcohol Focus Scotland
2nd Floor
166 Buchanan Street, Glasgow G1 2LW
Phone: 01415 726700
Web: www.alcohol-focus-scotland.org.uk

National Assembly for Wales Self-Promotion Division
Cathays Park, Cardiff CF10 3NQ
Phone: 0845 0103300
Web: www.hpw.wales.gov.uk

This is by no means an exhaustive list of organisations willing to help employers and their workers. In your local area, there may be any number of charities, government agencies, and trade groups able to offer further assistance. Please take advantage of all available resources necessary to meet the needs of your workplace.


  1. HSE – https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg240.pdf