Do You Need Help for Addiction Problems in Mauritius?
If you are dealing with an addiction problem in Mauritius, you will need to get help for it as soon as possible. There is likely to be few options available to you locally in regards to the help you need. If you are an expat in Mauritius, you may even decide to return to your home country in order to get the help you need – you could also decide to travel another foreign country where they have high quality English speaking rehabs. This can be a good option so long as you do not use it as an excuse to delay getting the help you need.
Are You Dealing with an Addiction Problem?
If you are concerned about your drinking or drug use then this is a fairly reliable sign that you are in trouble. The reality is that most substance abusers will greatly underestimate their difficulties, so even a bit of concern can indicate a much larger problem. It is understandable that nobody likes to admit that their drinking and drug use is out of control, but if this is the reality of the situation it will be vital that the person is able to acknowledge this. Here are some of the usual signs that a person is dealing with an addiction problem:
- The person experiences withdrawal symptoms if they try to cut down or stop. This can include flu like symptoms as well as anxiety and body tremors. In most cases the withdrawals will be mild, but they can be life threatening for those who have been abusing alcohol or drugs for many years. The reason for why the person suffers withdrawals is that their body will have adapted to the alcohol or drugs and it will now need to adjust to living without them.
- Another common sign of addiction is that the individual needs to take more of the same substance in order to get the same effect. This is referred to as increased tolerance. The fact that the person has to keep taking increasing amounts of the substance means that they are increasing the toxic effects to their body and mind.
- The person has tried in the past to stop or controlling their substance abuse, but they were unable to sustain this long term. No matter how hard they try they keep on slipping back into substance abuse.
- The individual suspects that their life would be better if they did not use alcohol or drugs.
- They become defensive when other people question their alcohol and drug use. This is often a sign of denial.
- The individual does things that they later regret while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- People who know them claim that the individual’s personality changes when they are under the influence.
- They have needed to take days off work due to hangovers.
- The individual suffers from blackouts. This means that there are periods of time that they are unable to remember while drinking or using drugs. These blackouts can be particularly worrying because the individual could behave really badly and not even remember it.
- The individual has neglected family, work, or social responsibilities due to substance abuse.
- They have lost interest in activities they used to enjoy.
- They do not like to go places unless there is going to be alcohol or drugs available. If they are going to a party they will drink beforehand.
- The person often feels ashamed of their alcohol or drug abuse.
It is important to keep in mind that the person will not need to suffer many of these symptoms in order for them to be considered addicted. The simplest way to describe addition would be to say that the individual is caught up in behaviour that they feel unable to control.
Addiction Help in Mauritius
There are a number of options in regards to addiction help in Mauritius including:
- 12 Step recovery groups – there are English speaking meetings available
- Alcohol and drug rehabs
- Therapy sessions
- Medical help for detox
Limited Addiction Help in Mauritius
English speaking long-term visitors and expats in Mauritius are likely to struggle when it comes to finding the addiction help they need locally. There are a handful of 12 Step programs, but this is often not enough to help the person break away from addiction. This is because the person needs to build a strong foundation for their recovery, and this type of work can be best done in a rehab facility. This is why it may be best that the individual either returns to their home country or chooses an international rehab facility.
Difficulties Accessing Addiction Help in Mauritius
There will be a number of difficulties associated with accessing the local addiction services including:
- If you do not speak the local language to a high level you may struggle to get the help you need. In order to overcome addiction you will need to explore some deep methods of thinking, and it requires the ability to use complex language.
- Mauritius is a relatively small country, and it will not be able to offer the same recovery resources as would be available in the UK.
- Unless the individual has a good deal of local knowledge they may struggle to find the available resources for addiction recovery. They may also be unaware about how to access these resources.
Addiction Medical Tourism from Mauritius
Medical tourism has become hugely popular in recent years as people realise that they have many options worldwide when it comes to dealing with conditions such as addiction. It means that the individual has a great deal more options as they did in the past, and many international rehabs are now working hard to attract the medical tourist. This means that they can offer special packages with special aftercare arrangements for people who will be returning home after their treatment. UK expats can choose to return home for the help they need, or they may decide to travel to another international destination. We will be able to offer advice on all of these possibilities so you should definitely contact us here on this website for more information.
We Want to Help You Find the Best Rehab
The decision about which rehab to choose to help you break away from addiction will have a huge impact on your future. This is where you will have the opportunity to build a foundation for your recovery, and you will want this to be as solid as possible. We will be able to help you choose the most appropriate facility. We have a great deal of expertise in this area and we will be able to work with you to decide on your best possible options. It will often be advisable for you to leave Mauritius in order to get the help you need. We will be able to tell you about all your international options, and what you can expect from these facilities. Once you have come to a decision we will then be able to arrange everything for you. By contacting us you are under no obligation so call our number right away and together we will find and option that is going to work for you.