Who Travels to Hong Kong for Addiction Help?
There are many English speaking ex-pats and long-term tourists living in Hong Kong, and some of these individuals may be dealing with substance abuse problems. Hong Kong is a very modern city, but it can be difficult to find suitable addiction treatment options. Up until a couple of decades ago, it would have sounded a bit strange for people to travel from one country to another when looking for addiction help. The rise of medical tourism though, has led to an increase in the number of people choosing this type of option. There are a number of reasons for why this is becoming such a popular option including:
- One of the great benefits of the internet is that it has meant that the world feels much smaller. It is also relatively cheap to travel by air to places as far away from the UK or the US. It is also probably the case that people these days are a bit more adventurous than they were in the past.
- It may be difficult for the individual to gain access to the rehab they want in Hong Kong without first going on a waiting list. Some of the more popular facilities are oversubscribed. By travelling to somewhere else in the world, the individual may be able to find a similar facility that has a free bed right away. This can make a real difference because if the individual is forced to delay their entry to rehab they may lose their motivation to quit.
- One of the real driving forces behind all types of medical tourism is that it is usually possible to get treatment of a similar quality at significantly cheaper prices by travelling abroad. The individual can still make great savings even when the cost of travel and other expenses are factored in. The advantage of travelling to somewhere like Thailand for rehab then may be that the individual will be able to find a suitable facility at a fraction of the price they would pay at home. The person may even be able to afford a luxury rehab even though this would not be a feasible option back in their home country.
- Some people may find it easier to break away from addiction if they travel to somewhere abroad and away from the usual stresses and temptations. It will mean that they are well away from their usual routine, stresses, and temptations. There is also this idea that it can be difficult for people to escape their normal modes of thinking if they are still in the same environment. By travelling to a rehab elsewhere in the world, it may mean that the person is much better able to see things from a new perspective.
- Getting sober is one of the most significant things that the individual will do during their lifetime – it is a life saving treatment. By travelling to an appropriate rehab in a nice location, the person may be able to make this more of a special time.
- There will be some people who have real concerns about their privacy. The thing that may be holding them back from getting addiction and recovery help is that they are worried what other people will think. By travelling away from Hong Kong, the individual will be better able to protect their anonymity. They will not need to tell anyone else about the reason for their trip, and the chances of anyone ever finding out will be very slim indeed. It should even be possible for the person to use a fake name if they are concerned about protecting their anonymity while staying in a foreign rehab.
- We now have many different approaches to addiction recovery, and it is now accepted that there is no one approach that seems to work for everyone. This means that the individual needs to find the approach that is most likely to work for them. In some cases, it may be necessary for them to travel to a foreign rehab in order to find the help they need.
Expatriates With Addiction Problems in Hong Kong
As well as people travelling to Hong Kong for addiction help, there will also be expats from the UK (and elsewhere) who are living in this city but need to break away from their addiction problems. These people will have the option of remaining in Hong Kong and attending rehab there, or they may decide to return to their home country. Those expats who are unsure about which is the best option to choose can contact us here on this website, and we will be able to offer some suggestions. Here are just a few things to consider if people find themselves in this position:
- As soon as the person becomes ready to end their addiction, they will need to get help as soon as possible. If they delay this could mean that they will lose their motivation, and there is no guarantee that this will ever return. It is therefore vital that the individual gets help as soon as they possibly can.
- In some situations the best option will be for the individual to return home to the UK (or other home country), but this is only viable if the person plans to be going home soon. Waiting to return to the UK can be used as a delaying tactic, so that the individual can justify continuing the substance abuse. The person needs to keep in mind that addiction treatment is a life saving procedure, and if they continue to abuse alcohol or drugs, they will be playing dice with their life.
- No matter where the person decides to go to rehab, it will be vital that they get sufficient aftercare. This could involve an outpatient program that is organised by the rehab, or the individual may decide to join a 12 Step Recovery Group. The exact option that they choose is not that important so long as it is going to provide adequate support for the individual.
We Will Work with You to Find the Best Option for Addiction Rehab
The decision you make when choosing a rehab is important. It is not the type of thing you will want to rush into blindly. For many English speakers living in Hong Kong, their best option will be to go elsewhere for addiction treatment. For example, one option would be for them to travel to Thailand where they would be able to find international standard luxury rehabs in exotic locations at a very reasonable cost. We will be able to help you come to an appropriate decision about your treatment options around the world. Contact us today and we will provide you with all the information you need to make the best decision, and we will then be able to make the arrangements so that you can enter your chosen facility when you are ready.
Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings in Hong Kong
A good option for addiction and recovery help can be AA meetings. There are meetings available in Hong Kong including:
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Morning Group: Monday to Friday at 07:45: St Joseph’s Church, 37 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong Island
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Lunch Time Group: Monday to Friday at 13:00: St Joseph’s Church, 37 Garden Road, Central, Hong Kong Island
- Alcoholics Anonymous: Various meetings: Every day of the week at multiple times: 12 Borrett Road, Central, Hong Kong