Addiction Recovery and Medical Tourism
There will be English speakers living in Germany who will be considering leaving this country in order get help for their addiction problems. One of the real advantages of inventions like the internet is that they have empowered us with knowledge. This technology has also greatly increased our options in life. One example of this would be medical tourism. We now no longer need to limit ourselves to just the options that are available in our own country; we now get to choose from the options that are available worldwide. Some of the reasons for why medical tourism has become so popular would include:
- The individual will often be able to find options abroad that simply would not be available to them in their home country.
- It is often possible to find similar treatments in a foreign country that cost far less than what people would pay in their home country. There can be a huge variation in the amount different medical facilities charge for the same procedure and this is even more evident when people compare what is available abroad.
- There can be long waiting lists for some treatment options even when people can afford to go private. By going abroad the individual may be able to get the help they need without any delay.
- Some people like the idea of mixing medical treatment with a bit of pleasure. The individual can recuperate in a foreign country where they may feel better able to relax.
Rehab Options in Germany
There can be a number of different reasons for why people might choose rehab options in Germany including:
- There will be come UK citizens (or other native English speakers) who are expats in Germany. It might make sense for these people to get help in another country rather than travelling all the way back to the UK.
- There is a great deal of variety in what these facilities have to offer. Different places will attract different types of people. For example, those individuals who are open to the idea of spirituality might do better in a rehab that emphasises this type of program. A person may find that the rehab that most resonates with their ideas about recovery might be located abroad.
- The individual may be able to find a facility abroad that is offering a cheaper alternative than what is available in Germany. This is one of the main reasons for why people are turning to medical tourism – it can be so much cheaper.
- There are many rehabs in the Germany, but it can still be difficult for the individual to find a bed right away if they have specific requirements. This means that the individual has either to wait or choose a facility that is less than what they were after – neither of these solutions is ideal. By considering rehabs away from Germany, the individual will have a much better chance of getting something they want right away.
- Privacy is another huge reason for why people may decide to travel abroad for addiction help. By going abroad, they may find it easier to keep their treatment a secret. All rehabs in Germany will take privacy seriously, but there is probably more of a risk of this information leaking out when the person is in their home country as they are more likely to bump into people who know them – or know of them.
What to Consider When Choosing a German Rehab
It is important that people consider things carefully when choosing a rehab abroad. Some of the things they will want to think about include:
- If the person does not speak the local language of the country where the rehab is located, they will need to make sure that there are going to be English-speaking therapists in the facility. If there is a serious barrier to communication, it may not be possible for the individual to get the most out of the program. It is also important to keep in mind that group therapy is a vital component in this type of treatment, and if the other members of the group do not speak English this could be the source of difficulties.
- If the individual wants to travel abroad because of the reputation of a specific rehab, they will need to have realistic expectations. This is because it will be the person’s own willingness and motivation that will be the most important aspect of their success. If the individual is highly motivated, they have a good chance of achieving lasting sobriety no matter what rehab they choose. On the other hand, if the person has the wrong type of motivation they are unlikely to succeed in even the best rehab in the world.
- Some people will do better in a foreign rehab than others. Those individuals who do not life foreign travel or foreign food might find that a stay in such a facility might involve too many distractions. The individual will already have enough things to focus on without adding homesicknesses into the mix.One of the most important things when considering rehab outside of your home country is that those who are returning to their home country afterwards will need to take responsibility for their own aftercare. The move back home is always going to be challenging so it is important that the person is prepared for this.
Let Us Help You Find the Most Appropriate Treatment Program
If you are an English speaker then you may want to look beyond Germany for you rehab options. We are experts in this field, and we will be able to provide information about all the top rehab facilities around the world – including options like South Africa, Thailand, United States, and the United Kingdom. It is now accepted that there is no one approach to addiction recovery that works for everyone, and we will be able to help you decide what is most likely to work best for you. We will also be able to make all the arrangements to get you into these facilities. The decision to quit an addiction can begin to waver if you leave it too long, so contact us here right away to go over your options.
12 Step Meetings in Germany
There are a number of English speaking 12 step meetings in Germany including:
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Turning Point Meeting – Monday 18:00 -Czernyring 13, building no #3962, Heidelberg
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Sunday Promises Group – Sunday 18:15 – AA Kontakstelle, Saarlandstr. 9, Hamburg
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Serenity Seekers Group – Monday 20:00 – Kontaktstelle Anonyme Alkoholiker, Stuttgarter Strasse 10, S-Feuerbach, Stuttgart
- Alcoholics Anonymous – The Tribe Meeting – Monday 18:45 – AA Kontaktstelle, Saarlandstr. 9, Hamburg
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Bremen English Speaking Meeting – Friday 18:00 – Kontaktstelle” Geeren 24, 28195, Bremen