Addiction affects many people all over the world. For those who suffer from the condition or live with somebody who does, the damage that addiction can cause is almost immeasurable. Families collapse, the person dealing with the addiction can often become alienated from their loved ones over time as their addiction worsens. In severe cases, addicts may overdose on a substance or become so depressed with their life that they consider or even try to commit suicide.
It is understandable that people in Northumberland who have fallen into the trap of addiction want to understand the cause of this problem. The first thing to make clear is that nobody ever chooses to become a substance abuser. The condition is similar to a disease and so the person is not really responsible for ending up this way. What the individual is responsible for is escaping this problem. It can be very helpful for people understand the reasons for why there are likely to have fallen into addiction in the first place. It may not always be possible to get an exact answer to this, but understanding some of the potential causes can prevent the individual from falling into the same traps in the future.
Causes of Addiction
Some of the most common reasons for why people fall into addiction would include:
• The individual may be genetically predisposed to this type of condition. This means that there are aspects of their genetic makeup that make it easier for them to become addicted.
• There will be people who turn to alcohol and drugs to help them deal with some type of emotional or physical abuse – this is usually something that happened to them growing up. The individual may initially find that using alcohol or drugs helps them to hide from their pain.
• Those people who begin experimenting with alcohol or drugs at a young age are more likely to develop substance abuse problems later on. This is why it is so important to dissuade young people from experimenting with these substances.
• There will be some individuals who fell into addiction because they were dealing with some type of mental health problem to begin with. This is usually something like depression or anxiety problems. The individual may have been completely unaware of what was wrong with them, but they just found that by using alcohol or drugs it seemed to help them. The reality is that over time substance abuse greatly exacerbates this type of problem so that the individual will actually feel much worse as a result. This is why it is so important that the individual gets the treatment they need so that they do not feel the need to self medicate.
• Some people grow up in an environment where substance abuse is considered normal behaviour. This may be something that they see all the grownups around them do so it feels natural to copy the behaviour. This person from this type of environment will also usually begin using these substances at a young age so this further increases the likelihood of them becoming addicted.
There are many potential causes for why people from Northumberland might fall into addiction. Luckily no matter what the underlying cause there will almost always be a path to allow the individual to escape this type of self destructive behaviour. If people would like to find out more about their addiction treatment options they should contact us here for more advice.