Character flaws can be a real stumbling block for people in St Albans who are trying to break away from addiction. This is because the individual will usually have fallen into addiction in the first place because of these personality traits. Every human will have their own personal character flaws, but they can be particularly bad for substance abusers because the drive this addictive behaviour. One of the goals of drug and alcohol rehabs is to help the individual get over these character flaws so that they can build a new and better life in recovery.
The Dangers of Character Flaws in Recovery
There is no expectation that people in St. Albans will need to overcome all their character flaws in other to beat their addiction. This is not something that any human will be able to achieve. All that is asked is that the individual begins working on those flaws that are most likely to cause them problems in recovery. This would include things like:
- Dealing with anger
- Managing negativity and developing a positive attitude
- Overcoming a pessimistic view of the future
- Letting go of cynicism and learning to keep an open mind
- Thinking about consequences before taking an action – an end to impulsive behaviour.
- Spending more time thinking about the feelings of other people – addiction can make people become extremely self absorbed.
- Learning to be more honest and open.