Addiction Problems in Mexico
Addiction is one of the most self destructive behaviours that an individual can fall into. It will be the cause of great pain for the person, and it can also cause suffering for other people in their life. The individual is not really to blame for falling into addiction – no more than a person is to blame for becoming diabetic. What the person is responsible for is remaining caught in addiction. Nobody chooses to become an addict, but the individual does have the ability to stop this at any time – all they have to do is become willing to change and get the help they need.
There are sources of help for people with addiction problems in Mexico including:
- Therapy sessions
- 12 Step fellowship groups such as Alcoholics Anonymous
- Group therapy
- Alcohol and drug rehabs
- Drug and alcohol counselling
- Charity organisations
Some of these facilities will be available in Mexico, but they may be difficult for English speaking expats or tourists to access.
Addiction Help for Expats in Mexico
There is a sizeable number of expats living in Mexico and many of these people will be English speaking countries such as the UK It is fairly common for people to develop serious addiction problems when they go to live in a foreign country. The reason for this is that the person can feel less constrained than they do at home. This means that the person will not have family and lifelong friends to put pressure on them to control their drinking or drug use. When people move to a foreign country like Mexico they can feel free to do thing that they would never consider doing back in their home country. Another reason for why expats can get into trouble in Mexico is that even though they may be there long term, or even employed there, they can still enjoy a type of holiday mood. This may mean that they more easily fall into the habit of overindulging in alcohol most days of the week.
Those English speaking expats or long term tourists who do develop addiction problems in Mexico have the choice of either getting help in Mexico, returning back to the their home country, or travelling to a high quality international facility in another country to get help. If the individual is intending to return to their home country soon anyway then this might be the best choice. There are some superb rehabs available in the UK, United States, and Canada, and it may be helpful that the individual will be back in an environment that will be more supportive of their recovery. Even if the individual does intend to keep living in Mexico, they might still benefit from travelling back to their home country for this type of treatment. On the other hand, it will not be a good idea for the person to use the excuse of wanting treatment back in their home country as a reason to delay treatment. It is vital that the individual gets help for their addiction right away. The longer they wait the more chance there is of them suffering serious consequences. The individual can even cross the line where full recovery from the substance abuse becomes impossible. This would happen if the person developed conditions such as wet bran syndrome or end stage liver failure.
If people are unsure of their options in regards to addiction help they should certainly contact us for more information. We can tell them about options not only in their home country but also internationally. The person answering your phone call will have personal experience of addiction, and they will be able to help you decide on the best option for you.
12 Step Groups in Mexico
There are many English speaking 12 Step recovery options in Mexico including:
- Alcoholics Anonymous – Alano Club in Puerto Vallarta – Multiple meetings every day of the week – 329 Basilio Badillo, Puerto Vallarta
- Narcotics Anonymous – Alano Club in Puerto Vallarta – Every day 17:00 to 18:00 – 329 Basilio Badillo, Puerto Vallarta
- Alcoholics Anonymous – English Speaking Meeting – Saturday 10:00, Tuesday 05:00, Thursday 10:00 – San Blas Mexico (contact 323-231-2215 for directions)
Alcohol and Drug Rehab for Addiction Recovery
In order for people to be able to break away from addiction it may be necessary for them to enter some type of rehab facility. The reasons for why this option can be such a good one will include:
- One of the real benefits of rehab is that it offers many different approaches under the same roof. This increases the likelihood that there will be something suitable for the individual.
- It is the time when the individual first gives up alcohol or drugs that they are most likely to relapse back to addiction. If they can be supported through these fragile first few weeks it will greatly increase their likelihood of achieving long term recovery.
- One of the great things about this type of facility is that it provides the individual with all the help and resources they need in order to build a new life away from addiction. Many of these resources will be available in the community, but the person will not know that they exist or how to access them.
- Most of these rehab facilities also offer detox beds. This means that the individual can be helped to make it safely through this process. If the person has been using alcohol or drugs for many years they do risk experiencing serious withdrawal symptoms – these may even be life threatening. In rehab their withdrawals will be medically supervised, and there will also be pharmaceuticals available to make the process that bit easier.
- When people first give up an addiction they will experience a rollercoaster of emotions. There will almost certainly be times during the first few weeks when the person feels low, and at these times they will be at high risk of relapse. By going to rehab they will be surrounded by other people who are on the same journey and will be able to offer support and encouragement.
- By entering rehab the person will be away from familiar temptations and stresses.
Find the Best Rehab Option with Our Help
Each of us is different and we will have our own unique needs in regards to addiction problems. This means that there is not one option that is going to work for everyone. Our team is expert in the available rehab options around the world, and we will be able to offer you advice on what is going to be the best choice for you. Choosing a rehab blindly could mean a wasted opportunity at sobriety, but by working together with us, you will be making an informed, and therefore more effective, choice. Contact us right now and we will help you find the help you need, and if you want we will then be able to make the arrangements for you – it is as simple as that.