Addiction and Recovery Options in Guernsey
Those people who are dealing with addiction problems in Guernsey will find that there is help available. These recovery options are no replacement for motivation, but if the individual feels ready to quit then these resources will help them make this a reality. One of the best options for people in Guernsey dealing with a substance abuse problem will be drug and alcohol rehab. This recovery option, when combined with their own motivation, provides the most effective means to break away from addiction.
Resistance to Rehab
Despite the fact that alcohol and drug rehab is usually the best option for people who are trying to break away from addiction, there can still be a great deal of resistance to this type of treatment. The most common reasons for such resistance will include:
- It can be difficult for people to admit to themselves that their addiction has now become so serious that they need this type of help. The individual may find that it hurts their pride to admit that this is the case. The reality is that admitting the reality of their situation can be the most empowering thing that the individual can do.
- Most people who are caught up in substance abuse suffer from terminal uniqueness. They may be able to see how other people who behave as they do should go to rehab, but they believe themselves to be a special case. The reality is that hardly anyone ever feels that they are a serious enough case to need rehab; in most situations, though, the person will be just fooling themselves. It is not the case, though, that the individual will need to fall so low into addiction for them to benefit from this type of facility.
- Some substance abusers will be concerned with the stigma associated with attending rehab. This is mostly just a lame excuse. The stigma associated with abusing alcohol or drugs is far worse than any stigma associated with attending rehab – in fact, most people will admire the individual for getting their life in order. Even if the individual is doing a good job of hiding their addiction now, they will not be able to keep this up indefinitely. The individual is caught up in a downward spiral and eventually the individual will have to deal with the stigma of substance abuse. It is also important to keep in mind that the individual can attend rehab anonymously.
- Some people may feel that rehab is an unnecessary expense. The reality is that going into this type of treatment program is an investment in the future. If the person manages to break away from addiction, they will soon recoup the money that they spent on alcohol and drugs. By getting sober, the person will be increasing the likelihood of financial success in the future.
- The person may feel that they just cannot afford to take the time off from their life in order to attend rehab. The truth is that unless the individual takes this step they risk losing everything of value in their life.
- Rehab Options in Guernsey and Beyond
There are some treatment options in Guernsey, but the individual does not need to limit himself or herself to what is available on the island. It is relatively easy to travel to a facility elsewhere in the UK, or even consider some international options. The fact that the person will have so many different rehabs to choose from means that they are almost certain to find something suitable, and they will not have to worry about any type of waiting list.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Rehab
Here are a few things worth considering when choosing a rehab:
- It is vital that the individual has realistic expectations for rehab. This means that they accept there is no magical solution that will be more effective than their own motivation. If a person is highly motivated but they attend a mediocre alcohol and drug rehab there will still be a good chance that they will succeed. On the other hand, if the person attends the best rehab in the world but they have low motivation, they will be unlikely to succeed.
- One of the most important things when choosing rehab is to make sure that they offer a good after care program. This is vital because it will help to ensure that the gains made in the treatment program can be later built upon. The transition from rehab back to the community can be tricky so the individual will need continued support in the months that follow.
- Different rehabs will offer different philosophies for recovery, and this will greatly influence the treatment program that they offer. For example, many facilities favour a 12-step approach. It is recommended that the individual consider the philosophy behind the rehab to see if it will fit in with their ideas about recovery.
- The standard of accommodation can be of great importance for people who are trying to break away from addiction. If the person feels uncomfortable in their surroundings, they may struggle to get the most out of the program. It is therefore recommended that the individual consider the accommodation on offer when they make their choice. Most private rehabs will provide the individual with a private room, but this is not always the case when the individual is going through the detox stage.
- Some rehabs have programs that offer different stages, and some of these programs can last up to two years. These longer rehab options can be the best choice for people who are likely to struggle in early recovery. It will mean that they will have plenty of time to get used to sober living and develop the coping strategies that they are going to need for this.
- The individual needs to be willing to make the most out of their time in rehab. If they enter this program with anything less than 100% motivation the chances of them being successful will be low.
Let Us Help You Find the Most Appropriate Rehab
There are many different treatment programs to choose from, and this is such an important choice that you will not want to rush into anything blindly. When you contact us here, we will be able to provide the information that you need in order to make an informed choice – this will greatly increase the chance that you will choose something that is appropriate. We will be able to provide information about the most effective addiction treatment programs around the world and once you have come to a decision we will then be able to arrange everything for you. When you become ready to break away from addiction it is vital that you take action fast, so do not waste any time and contact us here today.