Addiction has been studied for many years. In the past it was thought that those who become addicted do so through their own choice and weakness of character. Nowadays, addiction has been recognised as a disease. People may already be predisposed to addiction if their parents have addictive personalities and used drugs and alcohol around them as children.
Damaging effects of addiction
Being dependent on alcohol or drugs can have dire consequences on a person’s physical and mental health as well as their overall well-being.
• They may become clinically depressed and try to take their lives. The highs and lows with substance abuse exacerbate any emotional problem and can lead people to see things disproportionately.
• For those in a long-term relationWest LothianWest LothianWest LothianWest LothianWest Lothianship, drug and alcohol abuse can lead to spouses and partners leaving. They might feel as though there is no helping the person. People with young children may feel like the only way to protect the children’s future is to leave and make sure they are not around the addict in question.
• They may suffer from mood swings, leading to violent confrontations with people they know as well as strangers.
• Substance abusers will break the law to get hold of their substances and may even turn to crime to fund their habit if they have no other means of payment.
Is rehab for you?
Many addicts struggle with the fact that they have a problem. They can believe that they only use drugs and alcohol in a recreational way. Yet they will not see that the amount of deception that needs to take place for them to have this ‘fun’ is not proportionate to somebody who has no real interest in taking drugs or drinking.
If somebody has gone through any of the above feelings or activities, it is a sign that they need help because they are no longer able to make rational decisions.
Rehab can help
When dealing with addiction, some people will instantly look to lay blame on somebody. This might be the substance abuser themselves for being weak, or their parents for being a bad influence. It could be that the substance abuser suffered some trauma that they use drugs and alcohol to forget about. Whatever the reason, blame will not help anybody get over addiction.
West Lothian drug rehab clinics specialise in giving patients a chance at another life. Defeating an addiction successfully is turning a corner, but also involves a complete change of character. Rehab alcohol and drugs is the only answer to curing the problem of an addiction, however. Only here can the right treatment be given to people. Help for alcoholics and substance abusers is available in West Lothian rehab centres, but here are the various aspects of treatment which will be used to help individuals beat their addictions.
Cleansing the Mind
• Detoxification is the act of clearing the mind and body of any of the hazardous substances still in the body.
• These treatment programs differ depending on the individuals as each addiction is different. Drug rehab clinics assess each person before deciding on which type of program is right for them.
• Special medications are commonly used to provide help for alcoholics and drug addicts who are having issues defeating their withdrawal symptoms.