Roxburghshire drug and alcohol detox centres are the only places where people suffering from addictions should consider. Attempting to solve the issue at home is a one-way ticket to disaster. Instead of attempting to treat the issue at home, seek out drug and alcohol help in Roxburghshire. They utilise trained healthcare specialists who extensive experience with dealing with the shadow of addiction. The chances of drug alcohol recovery are increased when opting to undergo a sanctioned drug alcohol detox program.
Causes of Drug and Alcohol Abuse
Drug and alcohol abuse does not normally happen by chance. There is always an underlying factor with such cases. Having an addictive nature which is passed on through genetics puts people at higher risk of becoming an addict in some way, as does growing up around substance abuse.
We learn our behaviour from people around us, how to walk, talk etc. and people’s actions in front of children count for a lot when the child is older and starts to make more decisions for themselves. For those who live in a world where it appears all the adults in their life take drugs or drink alcohol, this will seem like normal behaviour for these people, so there would be no real reason for them to steer away from such behaviour.
Going through some kind of traumatic experience that is extremely difficult to cope with can also be a trigger of substance abusers. Their search to block out pain and try to forget an incident such as child abuse for example could very well lead them to drugs and alcohol. Once they find the slightest bit of relief with this method, it is hard for them to face reality again and so they continue to take drugs or alcohol, needing more and more to stay in a state where they do not feel the pain of the trauma.
Some addicts may feel the pressure of fellow peers to try alcohol or drugs when they are younger. They may use substances to relieve boredom at first. But as they use them more and more, they step further away from the reality of life. Eventually, they are unable to face life without their substance of choice.
Effects of drug and alcohol Abuse
The negative impact of substance abuse can affect every aspect of a person’s life:
• They may find it hard to gain or stay in employment. Their need for drugs and alcohol is more dominant than anything else in life and lead them to make harmful decisions.
• They could lose their family and home through their addiction. Living with a substance abuser puts pressure on loved ones that is extremely difficult to cope with and many people feel that the only way to have a healthy life is to leave the substance abuser.
• Health issues are abundant with substance abusers as the toxins from drugs and alcohol damage major organs and their mental health.
• Although many users take drugs and alcohol to feel better, the reality of the situation is that they exacerbate problems. Many substance abusers suffer from huge bouts of depression which may even lead them to try and take their own lives.
Featured Roxburghshire Alcohol & Drug Detox Treatment Centres
Making the Decision to go to Rehab
Going to rehab is one of the hardest decisions of a person’s life. Whilst they may see evidence every day that their substance abuse is bad for them, it is also a kind of safety net for them. Turning their back on substance abuse is to give up the cocoon in which they have been living for a substantial amount of time.
Addicts will normally only decide to get help if they hit rock bottom or if somebody else intervenes and shows them the real truth about the effects of their addictive behaviour.
The Problems with Withdrawal
Withdrawal symptoms are the hardest things to deal with within drug and alcohol detox centres. They signal the body fighting back after a substance is taken away. They can manifest themselves in a variety of different ways, but the important thing is to not fall to them. Falling to them often means relapsing and going back into the world of addiction. Only through drug and alcohol help in Roxburghshire can these symptoms be countered.
The danger of withdrawal symptoms comes with the fact they are so different. The symptoms which one patient experiences could differ heavily from the symptoms another patient is dealing with. Lesser addictions are generally not a problem since close monitoring usually does the trick, but dealing the symptoms caused by severe addictions is an entirely different concept. Hallucinations and organ failure are just two of the life threatening impacts of a severe addiction.
Dealing with these symptoms involves medications specially ordered by the Roxburghshire clinic. Drug and alcohol recovery starts with these detoxification substances. They replicate the feeling of the original drug to satiate the body’s desire. But they have the addictive substances removed so the body doesn’t become addicted to this new substance. Over time, the body gradually loses its dependency on these dangerous substances.
The General Process
Although patients tend to have their drug alcohol rehab programs customised to suit their specific needs, the general process remains the same for everybody. The staples of rehabilitation will always be kept in place as these are the things which studies have shown to work. Here’s the breakdown of the processes undergone to beat an addiction within residential rehab:
• Group support to forge bonds between patients. Without somebody to share the tribulations of rehab with, it can be incredibly difficult to come out of treatment with the necessary amount of success.
• Private counselling, or individual counselling as it’s sometimes referred to, is designed to uproot the issues which caused the problems in the first place. It’s often the most traumatic stage of treatment for people because they are talking about issues which they may have buried on purpose.
• Additional support comes in the form of classes and courses. Patients develop the skills needed to advance themselves after they leave residential rehab. Statistics have shown how people who develop themselves in rehab have a higher chance of achieving long term abstinence.
• Aftercare programs promote these same services outside of the facility. Each resident is directed to a walk-in centre where they can attend these same sessions a few times every week.
We offer dedicated local treatment across Roxburghshire including Jedburgh, Hawick, Kelso, Melrose, and Roxburgh.