Powerless to Overcome Addiction
When people in Kirkcudbrightshire find themselves dealing with an addiction problem they can feel alone and powerless to escape the situation. One of the best options for such individuals will usually be for them to enter some type of rehab clinic. The person may have all types of negative ideas about what this will involve, but it can be helpful to think of alcohol and drug rehab facilities as being similar to going to college. The individual will be taking part in a course that will be preparing them for the rest of their life.
The Reality of Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Centres
The usual way to image rehab is a place that people go to in order to stop drinking or using drugs. While this is certainly part of what is involved it only provides a tip of the iceberg in relation to what is actually involved. The real purpose of this type of facility is to give the individual the tools they need in order to go on to live a better life. It is a training course that teaches people who to cope with things and it gives them the tools they will need in order to become successful. It is these more positive goals that are the real purpose of rehab.
Many people in Kirkcudbrightshire will be able to give up alcohol and drugs without any help from a rehab. Giving up the substance abuse is actually the easy part, but the real challenge is staying stopped and going on to live a good life. It is this that people will learn how to do while in a rehabilitation centre, and it is why it should be given serious consideration. With this type of help the substance abuser no longer needs to feel alone and powerless.
How to Choose a Rehab Facility
In order to get the most out of this type of facility it is important that the individual considers what they each have to offer. There are different philosophies that the rehabs will prescribe to and this will impact the type of treatment that they offer. For example, there are many of these facilities that favour the 12 Step approach which puts the emphasis on spirituality as the best escape route from addiction. This type of philosophy can work well for many people, but it does not seem to suit everyone – in fact there is no addiction treatment that works for everyone. It is therefore important that the person chooses the type of rehab that is most likely to fit in with their worldview.
If people can afford private rehab then this will greatly increase their options. It also means that the individual can choose a fairly luxurious setting where they will have lots of creature comforts and a bit more comfort. These more expensive rehabs are well worth considering because they remove many of the unnecessary challenges of getting sober. This can also be considered as a good investment because the individual will be doing something to improve their own future.
Featured Kirkcudbrightshire Alcohol & Drug Detox Treatment Centres
How to Get the Most Out of a Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Centre
Just attending a drug and alcohol rehab centre is not going to be enough to guarantee long term abstinence and happiness. The individual will have the opportunity to obtain what they need for these things, but they will need to put in sufficient effort. Here are a few ideas for how the person will be able to get the most out of alcohol and drug rehabs:
- The individual needs to have the attitude that they will be willing to do “whatever it takes” to achieve lasting sobriety. If the person has this attitude they will not fail.
- The biggest danger for people who are trying to break away from addiction is ambivalence. This means that the individual is in two minds about recovery, and they have not completely given up on the idea that they might one day be able to drink or us drugs again. If the individual leaves the door open even a little bit for a return to addiction they are setting themselves up for a relapse. It is vital that the individual is clear in their goal of permanent abstinence or they will not be able to get the most out of recovery.
- The person who enters rehab needs to understand that the people working in these facilities are not there to make them better. All these professionals can do is to provide the tools and knowledge for the individual to make them better. It is ultimately up to the individual to make rehab a success, and to do this they work in collaboration with the professionals. It is perfectly feasible for the individual to go through rehab but not make any progress.
- The individual needs to examine their motives for entering rehab and make sure that these are the right ones. If the person is just there to take a break from addiction or to get family/ employers off their back, this will be the wrong reason. The right reason is that the individual had decided that they want to live a better life free of addiction.
- It is best if the person has a sense of urgency when they enter rehab, but this does not mean that they should be too uptight. A healthy sense of urgency will ensure that the individual is able to make the best use of their time there. It will mean that they are hungry to gain new knowledge and news skills because they understand that this might literally save their life.
- It is also important that the individual allows themselves to have fun in this facility because this is an important aspect of the treatment. There will be plenty of time to socialise and engage in entertaining activities. These should certainly not be viewed as a waste of time because they are vital. If the person does not make time for relaxation they will become too stressed to gain the most out of rehab.
We offer dedicated local treatment across Kirkcudbrightshire including Kirkcudbright, Castle Douglas, Dalbeattie, New Galloway