Addiction Help in Clackmannanshire
Drug addiction and alcoholic help is available for those who need it in the Clackmannanshire area. It is important that those who are considering making use of these resources have realistic expectations. It is best to look upon things like alcohol rehabilitation centres and drug counselling as tools. They can be of great help, but at the end of the day it is still going to be up to the individual to make their recovery a reality. There is nobody else who will be able to do this work for them.
How to Get the Most Out of Addiction Treatment Options
What follows are a few suggestions for how people living in the Clackmannanshire area can get the most out of their recovery options:
- If people have too many opinions about things then this can get in the way of recovery. The best approach is to have an open mind, and be willing to give anything that might help a try. Addicts tend to be cynical and suspicious of new things, but it is important that they be open to the new tools that may be able to help them build a good recovery.
- Nobody would choose to enter a drug rehab clinic unless they really needed to, but the reality is that in order for the individual to get the best possible start in recovery it will often be necessary for them to take this step. An inpatient program provides the best possible environment for those who hope to end their addiction.
- There is no one option that is going to work for everyone in recovery. This means that the individual will have to consider what is available and chose those options that are most likely to work for them. This decision has to be taking based on the effectiveness of the solutions in regards to the individual’s needs. It is usually best to assess the available options with the help of an addiction expert or therapist.
- They key to success in recovery is always going to be the individual’s willingness to change. Those who are resistant to getting better or are ambivalent towards their recovery will be less likely to succeed. The person needs to completely let go of the idea that they will ever be able to drink normally or use drugs safely again. It is best that they walk away from that part of their life completely and for good.
- In groups like Alcoholics Anonymous they recommend that members stick with the winners, and this is good advice for anyone in recovery. The reality is that humans are greatly influenced by the people they spend most of their time with. This means that being around negative people can cause the individual to feel negative about things as well. This is why it is so important to have friends who are doing well in recovery and have a positive outlook on life. These individuals can be inspiration, and they motivate the individual to keep working hard at their recovery.
Do You Need to Detox?
If people decide that they are ready to break away from addiction, they often become worried about withdrawal symptoms. In most instances these symptoms will not be much worse than flu symptoms, but if the individual has been using alcohol or certain drugs (e.g. barbiturates) they run the risk of developing a severe form of withdrawals known as delirium tremens (DTs). These symptoms can be life threatening and such individuals will certainly want to have their detox medically supervised. Even if the individual is not at risk of DTs there are still good reasons for why they might want to choose to detox in rehab including:
- It is during the withdrawals stage that people are most likely to relapse. The individual knows that if they take alcohol or drugs they will be able to stop the symptoms, and they will be tempted to do this. By entering a proper detox clinic the individual is protected from the usual temptations, and they are far less likely to relapse.
- One of the benefits of going through detox in rehab is that the individual can start on their treatment program right away. They will be able to attend group therapy sessions and other recovery activities while still dealing with symptoms. This not only means that they can complete the treatment program sooner, but it should also mean that they find the detox process a bit easier.
- The individual will usually be medically supervised, and the doctor will often be able to prescribe pharmaceutical agents that will make the process of going through withdrawals much easier to deal with.
- The person will be in a therapeutic environment where they will get plenty of support and encouragement. This will further increase the likelihood that they make it through the withdrawal stage and are ready for long term recovery.