Are You Ready to Quit Substance Abuse?
If alcohol or drug abuse is causing you suffering then the obvious answer is to stop engaging in this behaviour or at least limit it so that it no longer causes problems. If you have already tried to deal with things yourself and failed though, then this could be a sign that you need help in order to stop and that permanent abstinence is going to be your best solution. It can be difficult to admit that we need help to deal with our problems, but this is often what we need to do in order to escape them.
Support to End Addiction in Berwickshire
Support for anyone wishing to end an addiction is available in Berwickshire. So long as the individual is determined to give up alcohol or drugs there will almost certainly be a solution that will work for them. In some cases the individual will be able to stop with minimal assistance, or with alcohol and drug counselling. In many situations the best course of treatment will be for the person to enter a drug rehab. The type of person in Berwickshire who might require this type of inpatient treatment would include:
- If people have been abusing substances for many years they are likely going to find it a real struggle to adjust to sober living. It is therefore recommended that they enter a rehab so that they can begin to learn about this new way of living, and gain the coping strategies that will allow them to make a success of recovery.
- Some people who have a long term addiction to alcohol or certain drugs such as barbiturates will be at risk of particular severe forms of withdrawal symptoms know as delirium tremens (DTs) – some people have died as a result of the DTs. By entering a detox clinic the individual will have their withdrawals medically supervised so that help is at hand if things begin to deteriorate.
- There are many individuals who will have already have tried to break their addiction alone but failed at this. There is a wise saying that if people keep on doing the same things they will keep experiencing the same things, and therefore it is advisable for them to try a different approach. If people are struggling to give up their addiction without help then the obvious solution is for them to give rehab a try.
- Some people will be living in an environment that encourages them to use drugs or abuse alcohol. If they remain in that environment it will be extremely difficult for them to stay sober. By entering rehab the individual will be in an environment that is more conducive to recovery. When the period of rehab is complete they can then move onto a dry house or other accommodation that supports recovery.
- If the individual has poor coping strategies they will struggle to deal with life in recovery. For years they will have been using alcohol or drugs as a way to cope but now they will no longer have this option. This means that as soon as things get tough the individual may feel like they have no choice but to relapse. By entering rehab this person will be able to gain the coping skills they need in order to build a better life.
- Many people find that fellowship groups such as those that use the 12 Steps is a great help with getting them sober. There are rehabs where the individual will get a firm grounding in this program, and they can begin making the steps a part of their everyday life. This means that they will be strong in the program right from the beginning.